- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 16 ounces low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 egg
- Optional shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh tomato, chopped green onions, sliced black olives and lettuce.
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown beef; drain. Sauté onions & garlic until soft. Add beans, tomatoes, green chilies, garlic, cumin and pepper. Heat through. To soften tortillas, layer between damp paper towels and microwave until warm. Put layer of tortillas in bottom of greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Pour beef mixture over tortillas. Put another layer of tortillas on top. Set aside. Combine cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and egg; pour over tortillas and bean mixture. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, fresh tomatoes, green onions, olives and lettuce diagonally across casserole.