Garnish with chopped green onions and red and yellow peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces diced lean ham
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned red beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 4 to 6 cups freshly cooked rice
- Optional Garnish: chopped green onions and red and yellow peppers
Preparation: Sauté onion in oil until tender. Add water, ham, beans, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Mash about ½ cup of beans and return to mixture; Mix well. Serve over cooked rice.