Pinto Bean Cheddar Patties
Delicious with salsa and a green salad
- 2 1/2 cups fresh, whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
Preparation: Preheat broiler. Place 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs on baking sheet; toast under broiler for several seconds or until browned. Remove; let stand 5 minutes.
Mash beans with fork in mixing bowl. Add cheese, chiles, toasted breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Form mixture into 4 patties, about 3 inches in diameter. Dredge patties in untoasted breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add patties, and cook until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes on each side; add more oil to pan if necessary. Serve hot.