This quick and easy chili is colorful and boasts less calories than traditional chili dishes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cans low-fat chicken broth
- 2 saladette tomatoes, seeded and chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
Preparation: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces; remove from skillet and set aside. Saute onion till translucent; add garlic and cook one minute, stirring to prevent browning. Add celery and cook a further three minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Rinse and drain beans. Remove 1/2 cup beans and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add saladette tomatoes, pepper flakes, cilantro, ground cumin, salt, pepper, Great Northern beans and bean paste. Bring chili to a boil and serve.
Notes: Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with grated cheese if desired.