- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup mild tomato salsa
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 ounces pepper Jack cheese, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas (burrito-size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation: Place oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Stir together beans, corn, salsa, tomato sauce, cheese, cilantro, scallions, and cumin in a large bowl.
Heat a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until smoking. Brush both sides of each tortilla with oil and fry, turning over once, until puffed and golden in spots, about 1 minute.
Put 1 tortilla in a well-oiled 15- by 10-inch shallow baking pan, then spread with 1 1/3 cups of filling. Repeat layering twice, then top with remaining tortilla, gently pressing to help layers adhere
Bake until filling is heated through, about 12 minutes. Transfer with a large metal spatula to a platter, then cut pie into wedges with a serrated knife.
Notes: Accompany with sour cream