Makes 4 servings.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grate Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates and top with sauce and cheese.