These low-fat stuffed grape leaves look difficult, but are a snap to make.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked cranberry, pink or red beans
- 1/2 cup canned tomato, diced in juice
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced dill weed
- 1 jar (8-ounce) grape leaves, packed in brine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a heavy pan, sauté onion in olive oil. Add garlic and cook over medium heat.
Add diced red pepper, white rice, salt and black pepper; sauté for 2 minutes. Add cooked beans, tomato, currants, parsley, oregano, mint and dill; sauté 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Drain grape leaves and rinse. Place 2 tablespoons of filling on each leaf, vein side up. Fold sides over and roll tightly as if making a burrito.
Line a 9” x 13” baking dish with a layer of grape leaves. Place rolled dolmas snugly into dish. Place layer of grape leaves on top.
Place lemon juice and vegetable broth into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over dolmas. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Serv. Size: 3 Dolmas
Amount Per Serving
Cals: 195 From Fat: 9%
Total Fat: 1.9g
Total Carb: 35.3g
Dietary Fiber: 5.1g