Cuban-Style Black Beans with Rice and Plantains
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 firm, ripe plantains, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup snipped cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 bunch thinly-sliced scallions for garnish
Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat, and cook cubed plantains 4 to 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove from heat.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, and sauté yellow onion and green pepper 7 to 10 minutes, or until onion turns golden. Add vegetable bouillon, beans, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes more or until beans are heated through.
Spoon rice into large serving bowl or individual soup bowls, top with plantains and vegetables, and garnish with red onion, cilantro and scallions.