White Bean Bruschetta with Arugula and Red Onions
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, divided
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced paper-thin
- 1 sourdough baguette, cut crosswise into thirty-two 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup baby arugula, slightly packed
Blend 2 cups beans, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, and thyme in processor until almost smooth. Add remaining beans. Using on/off turns, blend until beans are barely chopped.Season with salt and pepper.
Whisk vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil in bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Mix in onion. Let stand at least 1 hour, no more than 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 4 tablespoons oil in small bowl. Using garlic press, press 3 garlic cloves into oil. Whisk to blend. Arrange bread slices on rimmed baking sheet; brush with garlic oil. Bake until bottoms begin to crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheet at least 15 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Mix arugula into onion and dressing. Spread bean mixture on each bread slice. Top with arugula and onion.
Notes: The mixture in Step 1 can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using. Makes 32