This hearty vegetable-based dish makes a meal on its own, though you can stir in shredded precooked chicken in the end, if you like.
- 3 slices cener-cut bacon, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crush
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 ounces (1-inch) cut Romano beans
- 6 ounces (1-inch) cut green beans
- 6 ounces (1-inch) cut yellow wax beans
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups diced plum tomato (about 5 tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grate Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Preparation: To prepare stew, cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacom from pan, and set aside.
Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add red pepper; cook 20 seconds, stirring frequently. Add beans and salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring freuqently. stir in tomatoes; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, rosemary, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare crostini, brush oil evenly over cut sides of bread; rub bread with cut sides of garlic. sprinkle one side of each piece of bread evenly with rosemary. Arrange slices on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese; serve each with 2 crostini.
Notes: Use all green beans if Romano and yellow wax beans are unavailable.
Amount Per Serving
Cals: 243 From Fat: na
Total Fat: 8.9g
Total Carb: 31.3g
Dietary Fiber: 6.6g