Excellent as a salad or served with chips!
- 2/3 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels; fresh-cut, thawed frozen, or drained canned
- 1 firm ripe tomato (1/2 pound), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions or chives, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ripe avocado (10 ounces), peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Corn tortilla chips (optional)
Preparation: In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until barely tender to bite, 9 to 11 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
In a large bowl, mix pasta, beans, corn, tomato, cilantro, onions, lime peel, 1/3 cup lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt to taste.
In a small bowl, mash avocado with 1 tablespoon lime juice and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Equally mound pasta salad on dinner plates. Top with dollops of the avocado mixture.
Notes: Can be served with chips for a nice appetizer as well.
Amount Per Serving
Cals: 335 From Fat: 27
Total Fat: 9.9g
Total Carb: 54g
Dietary Fiber: 7.4g