- 1/2 cup (1 1/2-ounce) unsweetened coconut, finely grated
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) dried hot red chile, seeded and crumbled
- 1 Turkish bay leaf or 1/2 California
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation: Stir together coconut and water in a bowl. Let soak at room temperature until water is absorbed, about 1 hour.
Cook beans in a 6 quart heavy pot of boiling salted water uncovered, until crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander set in a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking, then drain well.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add mustard seeds, chile and bay leaf and saute, stirring until mustard seeds make popping sounds, about 1 minute. Add beans and stir until coated with oil. Add coconut mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.