To prepare fresh tomatillos, strip off the husks and rinse under warm water to remove any sticky sap clinging to the skin.
- 3/4 pound fresh whole tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 small avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed, optional
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream, optional
Preparation: Preheat oven to broil. Place oven rack 3 inches from heat source. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, and spread tomatillos, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Broil 12 minutes, or until tomatillos are blistered and charred, and onion and bell pepper are softened and charred, tossing once halfway through cooking time.
Pulse garlic, 1 tablespoon cilantro, jalapeno, and tomatillos 10 times in food processor, or until chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss 1/4 cup tomatillo sauce with black beans, red bell pepper, and onion.
Fill tortilla with black bean mixture, avocado, and queso fresco. Garnish with remaining cilantro and corn kernels, if desired. Serve remaining tomatillo sauce and sour cream, if desired, on side.
Amount Per Serving
Cals: 226 From Fat: na
Total Fat: 7g
Total Carb: 36g
Dietary Fiber: 11g