- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, preferably chipotle
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked beans
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock or bean cooking liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Preparation: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat until onions are softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin, and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
Increase heat to medium. Add 1 cup beans, 1/3 cup stock. Using potato masher or back of spoon, mash beans into liquid. Continue cooking until liquid evaporates, 7 to 10 minutes. Add 1 more cup beans and 1/3 cup stock, and mash and cook again, stirring. Repeat, mashing and cooking and stirring, until liquid is absorbed and beans hold together, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice and salt.