- 12 slices applewood-smoked bacon, corasely chopped
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) ground allspice
- 6 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans wih liquid
- 6 pickle jalapeno chiles, seeded, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation: Saute bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until crisp; drain on paper towels.
Pour off all but 6 tablespoons drippings. Add onions and garlic to pot.
Saute until beginning to brown, about 12 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice and allspice; simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
Add beans, jalapenos, and bacon; simmer until flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes longer. Season beans with salt and pepper.
Mix cilantro into beans. Transfer to large bowl and serve.