Makes about 5 cups
- 1 pound black beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano, crumbled
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Monterey jack cheese, grated
Drain beans. In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion, green pepper and garlic until softened.
Add beans and fresh water; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain any excess liquid and mash beans in saucepan; season with salt.
In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Stir mashed beans into reserved bacon fat in skillet; stir in bacon, chilies, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, cumin and oregano. Serve hot or at room temperature, sprinkle with cheese just before serving. If desired, cool, cover, refrigerate and reheat before serving. Serve with tortilla chips and vegetable dippers.