Prep: 45 minutes; Total: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (from 1 small bunch)
Preparation: Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; saute until tender and golden, about 9 minutes. Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
Notes: Top with chopped fresh cilantro, red onions, and grated cheddar cheese, if you like.